Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Buddy Rich

Buddy Rich was a leader of a big band, probably most popular in the 50's and 60's, and is often regarded as the greatest drummer ever. I don't know much about drums, but just watching this video has me sold on the guy. Look how damn fast his arms and sticks are moving, he's moving in hyperspeed really. I like the part at 2:55 where he builds up the tempo to an amazing speed, its amazing he has so much control over such minute movements.




There is also a video on YouTube of a Drum Battle of Buddy Rich versus Animal from Sesame Street. Buddy Rich had done drum face-offs before, I guess this was a parody of it. I want to have a drum face-off on Rock Band, someone get a drumset! It'd be intense.

PS I love Rock Band, the perfect melding of music (good music) and video games. 3 new Downloadable songs announced every Monday and released the next day on Tuesday! It's seriously like Christmas every week... Guitar Hero blows (3, specifically). This week, Rock Band released The Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville and its awesome! Guitar and Vocals are so much fun, and I'm sure drums will be a blast.

1 comment:

Greg O. said...

So that's where the phrase "beatin' like a Buddy Rich solo" comes from..

And those people at Woodstock.. They look pretty brain dead wasting their time doing nothing productive.. I'm going back to some CoD..